Monday, November 14, 2011

rocket and parsley pesto



A lovely lady from work (a different one from last one), shared her fresh rocket from her vegie garden. It's the freshest rocket leaves I've ever tasted! I don't want them to wilt, but I really want to enjoy it longer. So, I bought myself a bag of walnuts, and googled 'vegan rocket pesto' just because I don't want to use parmesan, trying to cut back on my saturated fat intake.
The search landed me on this page from easy as vegan pie.
I made a teeny bit of changes, and omitted the raw garlic, I just can't stand the lingering taste of raw garlic in my mouth.

here's my take:

2 handful of rocket leaves
1 handful of parsley (I didn't add much, as I want the rocket to be the star of the show)
1/2 cup of walnuts, toasted on frying pan
1 tsp of miso paste (as parmesan substitute)
juice of one lemon
1 to 2 cloves of raw garlic (I omitted this, but feel free to add)
1/4 cup of olive oil
pepper to taste

Put all the ingredients in a food processor, and blitz away!! taste, and add something if you think it fit. blitz again for a few seconds.
transfer into a container or jar, and pour a little bit of olive oil on top.
Tore a piece of bread, take the blade out of your food processor, wipe your food processor bowl with the bread, and eat.
repeat if necessary
no waste allowed! :)

1 comment:

  1. Miso as a parmasen substitute= brilliant! Looks so fresh & vibrant, thanks for the recipe :) x

    ReplyDelete