Sunday, June 20, 2010

lunch, babka



We're heading home tomorrow!! yaaayy, very excited, looking forward to warmer weather..! I've got 2 wedding lined up for next weekend, so on the last day in Melbourne, we went to Brunswick St to find some dress, and some gifts. We, or I should say, I, was quite hungry when we head out, so we decided to have some lunch first somewhere around Brunswick St.
We picked Babka, which was unusual, because its Sunday, and we often put off by the long line of people waiting for a table. But, hey, today is an unusual day..! We waited for about 10 min to snatch a table for two.

I've heard soooooo many bad experience with the service, but fortunately, we didn't experienced it. Yes, they were not the friendliest waitress on earth, but they were quite efficient, and given the busy-ness of the place, I think its fair enough if they don't stop for a small talk. I'm not big on small talk either. The waiters gave us some time to choose food from the menu, and happily changed my order when I changed my mind - wanted borscht instead of croissant with mushroom. Oh yeah, the waiter also asked me if I want more bread, after we finished them in 2 seconds. Yes Please!!

The food arrived at a reasonable timing, regarding how busy they were. I had borscht ($8.50) with toast, (dense-chewy-crusty bread..I want it now..!!), my date had HUGE nicoise sandwich that I've blogged before ($12 eat in, or $8.50 take away, I know, ridiculous price gap!). That was the first time I had borscht, and I loved it. Heart warming, comforting bowl of soup, plus, the colour was beautiful and uplifting. The beet and cabbage was sweet, but not overly sweet like pumpkin soup, the sour cream cut through the sweetness, and the fresh dill gave a lovely fragrant.
We were meant to try some of the sweets too, but we're to full, the soup was surprisingly filling! (or maybe its the 5 pieces of bread? :) )

Have to return for sweets!

No comments:

Post a Comment